What is Bandh:Many type of Bandh are used during the practice of pranayams. With the help of this bandh yogis awaken the latent 'kundalini' energy through combination of Pran and Apaan. Bandh is such an yougic process in which any one part of the body firmly contracted is bound through muscles and it affects the nervous system. So Bandh is neuromuscular effort. Practice of Bandh can be done independently and also as a part of Pranayam and Mudra.
- Three bandhas are included in Tribandh, which are as follows:
- Uddiyan Bandh
- Jalandhar Bandh
The word Mul is used here for the excreta passage. In this bandh muscles of the excreta passage are contracted and thus closed. Hence it is called Mulbandh.
- Method :
- Press the sivani with the heel of any one foot, i.e. if it is a right foot then press the sivani with the heel of the right foot, and keep the heel of the left foot on the root of the generative organ.(sivani means a part in between anus and urine tract).
- Then contrct the anus. Then pull upwards the vertebral column (spine) and try as if Apan gas drawn upwards.
- With this contraction Apan gas stops going downwards. This bandh is known as mulbandh.
- Benefites :
- By performing this Bandh digestive capacity is enhanced.Constipation gets removed, and semen gets well-nourished.
- While doing Mulbandh there occur necessary changes in hollowness of the stomach. So the coagulation of blood in the organs contained in hollowness is removed.
- For sublimation of the Apan gas this bandh is the best activity.
- Pranayam is easily achieved by doing it with this bandh.
- The practice of this bandh is very much helpful in observing Brahmacharya.
- It is said that, by performinf this bandh frequently and continuously even an old man becomes young.
- As said in the beginning Kundalini energy gets awakened.
Pran in the body is sublimated through Uddiyan. So it is called Uddiyan bandh. For doing Uddiyan bandh empty your lungs firmly and forcefully. Then making use of the vaccum condition pull the gullet and navel back side, so that the stomach can last in the hollowness. This Bandh can be done in standing or sitting position, both ways.
- Method :
- In standing position, put both hands firmly on thigh.
- Bend your body a little ahead and detain your breath.
- Keep a little distance between both the feet.
- As stated above, breath out forcefully and empty your lungs,(Do external Kumbhak).
- Then after contracting the stomach, pull navel and intestine forcefully towards your back, so that the diaphragm will be raised high up and stomach wall would be pulled backside. This activity can be repeated six times at certain intervals. This activity can be performed by sitting in sidhhasan, sukhasan or padmasan posture.
- Benefits :
- This bandh makes digestion efficient and constipation is removed.
- Organs of stomach like liver, intestine, spleen, pancreas etc. become efficient and it removes their weakness.
- the bandh is very usefull in case of illness due to hernia.
- The regular practice of this bandh spreads energy in the body.
- Doing this bandh makes the body healthy.
- By practising uddyan bandh regularly youth stage for long period is attained.
- This bandh awakens kundalini power.
This bandh is called jalandhar bandh in the name of yogi jalandharnath.
- Method :
- Sit in Sukhasan, Padmasan or Siddhasan.
- Arrange both the hands on the knees holding gyan Mudra.
- At first contract your neck and then bend your head ahead.
- Press the chain on the chest firmly.
- detain your breath.
By doing this, centres of spinal cord and nerves are pulled upwards, and it affects the brain in that condition.
- Benefits :
- It affects strongly on thyroid parathyroid glands which control hormones properly.
- By doing this bandh, it gives much benefit in all diseases above the neck.
- By practice of this bandh pran moves and goes in its proper path.
- Kundalini power is sublimated.