Bhujangasana meaning, method and benefits:
This asana is to be done lying on the stomach. Bhujang means serpent. In this asana, the shape of the body becomes like the shape of the serpent raising its hood. Hence it is called Bhujangasana.
Bhujangasana is gentale backbend practiced form a face -down position that warms and strengthens the spine while opening the chest.The term comes from the Sanskrit bhujanga, meaning "serpent" or "snake" and asana, meaning "posture" or "seat."Bhuajnagasana.
- Bhujangasana Original Position :
- Lie on stomach, both the hands on the side of thigh.
- Keep palms touching the ground.
- Keep palms close to each other.
- Keep chin leant on ground.
- Keep whole body straight.
- Bhujangasana Method :
- Keep palms near respective shoulders on the side of chest.
- Keep palms and elbows touching the ground.
- Raise the head, shoulder and chest from the ground to the navel while doing Poork. This is a complete position. stay in this position for some time.
- Again put the head and the trunk on the ground while doing Rechak.
- Come in the initial position.
- Point to bear in mind :
- Students suffering from diseases like hernia, ulcers of stomach, hypo thyroidism, severe back ache, internal T.B. should not do this asana.
- Women should not do this asana during menstruation period.
- The patient with post operation of stomach should not do this for 2-3 months.
- Bhujangasana Benefits :
- Organs of the stomach get massaging and remain healthy.
- Muscles of the neack become strong.
- Troubles of urination get rid-of, and the waist becomes more flexible.
- It gives relief in troubles like stomach - ache, sciatica-aching, vertebra-slip etc.
- Women get relief in pain during menstruation period and irregularity of menstruation is removed.
- Stretches muscles in the shoulders, chest and abdominals.
- Decreases stiffness of the lower back.
- Strengthens the arms and shoulders.
- Increases flexibility.
- Improves menstrual irregularities.
- Elevates mood. Firms and tones the buttocks. Invigorates the heart.